A kitchen fire can be detrimental to your property, and the repair and restoration process can be complex.
Did you know the National Fire Protection Association credits igniting food, fat, oil, or grease as the culprits for almost two-thirds of kitchen fires? If not addressed immediately — and correctly — these fires can quickly get out of hand and cause an incredible amount of damage.
The aftermath of a kitchen fire is devastating. Your kitchen is the heart of the home, the hub for countless activities. A place to feed your family, entertain your friends, and the best place for a quiet midnight snack. For these reasons, a kitchen fire can feel especially heartbreaking. Even the most minor fire has the potential to cause a serious amount of damage that could interrupt your daily routine.
Addressing damage right away and getting the fire damage restoration process quickly is ideal and crucial to get you and your loved ones back to living life normally. But when we say process, we mean process. Depending on the size of the fire and the damage done, the fire damage repair protocols and procedures can be overwhelming and time-consuming.
So, to better help homeowners understand fire and smoke damage to their kitchen and home, we’re mapping out the entire fire and smoke damage restoration process. The first and most important thing to remember is that you are not alone and that professional help is available for emergency service right after disaster strikes.
Continue reading to learn more.
Kitchen Fire and Smoke Damage: What to Expect
It doesn’t necessarily matter the size of a kitchen fire. Even the smallest fires can result in severe damage to your property. Smoke, heat, flames, and the water used to put out fires can have serious destructive effects on the structure of your home or business and any affected personal belongings.
In the event of a fire, no persons, except professionals, should attempt to clean up or complete repairs. This is critical to your health and safety. Always call in a trusted and experienced restoration expert to assess the damage caused by smoke, water, and fire. A fire damage professional can also determine which items can be restored to their former condition and which parts of your home or business must be completely repaired.
Smoke and Soot Damage
While most people tend to believe flames are the primary cause of fire damage, smoke, and soot play a prominent role in the destruction caused. Smoke and soot can worsen the damage even after the fire is put out. Smoke can spread to other rooms and areas in the home that the flames didn’t even reach, carrying with it destructively acidic components, corrosive properties, and high temperatures that are incredibly damaging to metal items, like kitchen hardware and pipes.
Smoke can also discolor porous materials, such as porcelain, tiles, countertops, plastic items, drywall, and hard flooring. Moreover, smoke can leave a powerful, unpleasant smell that soaks into rugs, carpets, furniture, drapes, clothing, and countless other personal belongings. Smoke residue can even damage paint and wallpaper.
A byproduct of fire, soot can be just as damaging. Similar to smoke, soot has corrosive properties that can seriously damage floors, walls, ceilings, insulation, carpets, rugs, furniture, pillows, mattresses, clothes, and more. Soot can even damage electronics, resulting in short-circuiting.
What is Fire Restoration?
Fire restoration refers to cleaning, repairing, and restoring properties after they have been damaged by smoke, fire, soot, and any water or chemicals used for firefighting efforts.
The main goal of fire restoration is to return the home or business to its pre-disaster condition. This process ensures the property is safe, structurally sound, free from harmful residues, and inhabitable. The steps involved include assessing the extent of the damage, removing smoke and soot residue, addressing water damage, restoring structural elements, and deodorizing the property.
Hiring professionals to handle the fire restoration process ensures that all potential hazards (physical and health) are properly addressed and that the property is completely restored.
Fire Damage Repair: 10 Steps to Restoration
A kitchen fire is one of the most traumatic and devastating events that a person can experience. But, understanding the steps to take afterward can ease the emotional pains of the recovery process.
Here is a brief 10-step guide you can use to ensure your property is fully restored:
STEP 1 — Safety First
- Do not enter your property again until it has been declared safe by authorities.
- Immediately turn off utilities (gas, water, electricity) until a professional deems it safe to turn back on.
- Yes, swift action after a kitchen fire is critical, but safety needs to always be prioritized. Rely on professional guidance throughout this entire process.
STEP 2 — Documentation for Personal and Insurance Purposes
- Once you’re able, take photos and video footage of all fire damage. Documentation is key for insurance claims.
- Keep a detailed record of all communications with your insurance company. This could help you down the line.
STEP 3 — Contact the Professionals
- Reach out to a trusted and reputable restoration company that can give you a damage assessment.
- Consult with your insurance company and family and friends, and read online reviews about recommended restoration services.
STEP 4 — Water Damage Assessment
- One of the first things the restoration company you hire will do is address water damage from firefighting efforts. Managing the water damage in a timely manner can help prevent mold growth.
STEP 5 — Smoke and Soot Removal
- Areas affected by smoke and soot are prioritized since substances can be extremely harmful and cause further damage to your home.
STEP 6 — Clean the Property
- Clean all surfaces, including ceilings, walls, and floors, regardless of the material.
- Specialized equipment will likely be used to remove smoke odors.
STEP 7 — Personal Belonging Restoration
- Determine which of your personal belongings can be restored and which must be discarded.
- Clean, deodorize, and restore savable pieces.
STEP 8 — Structural Repairs
- Structural damage incurred during the fire, such as ceiling, floor, and wall damage, is addressed.
- Repainting and replacing damaged components throughout the property.
STEP 9 — Professional Safety Inspections
- Professional inspections of natural gas, structural elements, electrical systems, and appliances before use.
- Verify smoke detectors properly function and replace them if necessary.
STEP 10 — Final Review
- Walk through your home or business to ensure all restoration needs have been met.
- Consult with your restoration professional about any outstanding issues or concerns.
How Long Does a Kitchen Fire Restoration Take?
How long the fire restoration process takes dramatically varies based on the extent and severity of the damage. It can take anywhere from just a couple of days to several months.
Talking to a trusted professional fire damage restoration company for a precise timeline is crucial, as each case is acutely unique. Regardless of the duration, the main goal should be to ensure the property (and those that live inside) is safe, clean, and restored to its former condition.
Minor Fire Damage — Small, contained kitchen fire restoration projects can take a couple of days to a week to complete. This includes smoke smell removal, cleaning, and necessary minor repairs.
Moderate Fire Damage — For kitchen fires that cause more extensive damage to the space, the restoration process could last several weeks. This involves more in-depth smoke odor and soot removal, structural repairs, water extraction, and remodeling.
Drastic Fire Damage — In cases where a kitchen fire has affected not only the kitchen but also other parts of the property or caused severe structural damage, the restoration process can take several months or longer. This includes addressing potential water and mold problems, extensive cleaning, and major reconstruction.
Affected By a Kitchen Fire? The Professionals at Utah Disaster Clean Up & Restoration Are Here to Help!
If your property has suffered a kitchen fire and needs help, please contact the fire damage repair experts at Utah Disaster Clean Up & Restoration.
There’s no denying that a kitchen fire can devastate a home and family, and dealing with the aftermath is more than overwhelming. That’s why our experienced team will be there at a moment’s notice to restore your property to its former condition. With more than 20 years of restoring homes, our trusted crew has the knowledge, equipment, and experience to get the job done right.
Our specialists work quickly and expertly to inspect your kitchen and create a plan for restoring your property. We also conduct a detailed inventory of all of your affected belongings and determine which items can be restored.
In addition to smoke and fire damage restoration services, our team specializes in storm damage, mold remediation, flood repair, storm cleanup, and more. We know disaster can strike at any moment, which is why we are available for 24/7 emergency services. We offer fast and friendly customer service and give each of our customers a one-year guarantee.
We are conveniently located in Murray and serve residents and businesses across the Salt Lake Valley. Contact our team today using the form on our website or call us at 435-512-1584 to get things started.